This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Among the many possible reactions to plaster, a rash is one of the most common, but what are the symptoms of a plaster allergy? Besides the typical itchy skin and runny nose, a plaster allergy can also cause eczema, contact dermatitis, and even anaphylaxis, a severe allergic reaction that requires medical attention.
People with allergies to dust and certain medications are more susceptible to a plaster allergy, making treatment necessary.
The term plaster itself means a band-aid-like covering for a wound, but many people have allergies to the substances used in plasters. The allergens include colophony, resin, or a combination of both. These substances are common allergens and can cause contact dermatitis and eczema. Here are some symptoms and treatments for plaster rash. Symptoms of wall plaster rash can be uncomfortable and even fatal.
Plaster contains volatile organic compounds (VOCs), which are irritants that can irritate the skin, eyes, or respiratory system. Common VOCs include aldehyde, benzene, trichloroethane, chlorobenzene, and polychlorinated biphenyls. To minimize exposure to these compounds, always wear gloves, goggles, and ventilate the room with a fan.
If you have an allergy to dust mites, mold, peanuts, or pollen, you may need to replace certain areas of your wall plaster with new ones. Benzalkonium chloride, which is used in Plaster of Paris, can cause allergic reactions in some people. Benzalkonium chloride may cause allergic reactions in sculptors, craftspeople, and people with broken bones. Patch tests may help identify if you’re allergic to plaster.
Other common allergens in plaster are dust mite dander, dry powdery mold, and mildew. It is important to avoid these allergens if possible. Fortunately, there are anti-allergen plasters available at most drugstores and supermarkets. If you can’t find them, you can always ask your painter about the brand of wall plaster. Allergens in wall plaster can be caused by several different substances, so be sure to ask your painter about the safety guidelines before applying any plaster.
Another common allergy to plaster is to the products that make it sticky, such as acrylates or propenoates. Other potential allergens in plaster include rosin, which is a sap from pine or spruce trees and valued for its sticky properties. Those allergic to latex should be especially cautious with any plaster product, as it can cause serious reactions. If you have any of these symptoms, you should seek medical attention immediately.
There are several different types of medical adhesives available on the market, including silicone, acrylate and hydrocolloid. The three types work in slightly different ways to adhere to skin. While acrylate adhesives fill gaps between the adhesive backing and irregular skin surface, the bond strength increases over time. Silicone-based adhesives are softer, and maintain a constant level of adherence over time. Regardless of their effectiveness, they may still cause a rash.
Generally, these reactions are not due to an allergy to the adhesive. In fact, they are almost always caused by an irritant. While medical adhesives contain substances that are known to trigger an allergic response in some people, they are very uncommon. Most cases of these reactions are irritant contact dermatitis, which looks exactly like an allergic skin reaction. Although rare, it’s important to note that a true allergy to a particular chemical is often the culprit.
The primary goal of the treatment of this injury is to protect the integrity of the skin. Without treatment, a MARSI may lead to pain, infection and delays in healing. The consensus document published by Fumarola et al. (2016) provides recommendations to prevent these MARSIs by properly applying the adhesive device and removing it from the affected area. It also suggests the use of a medical adhesive remover.
The use of a sterile medical adhesive remover is essential. It is proven to be effective. Appeel Sterile Medical Adhesive Remover is a silicone-based solution that doesn’t sting the affected area and dries quickly. While it doesn’t completely remove the medical adhesive, it doesn’t prevent reapplication of the adhesive at the same location.
When removing the adhesive from the affected area, make sure to allow the area to dry. The skin decontamination product should be removed from the affected area before applying the medical adhesive. Removing it too early may lead to further damage. In addition, removing it too early could lead to infection. If you think your skin is already damaged, consider using a non-transparent dressing instead.
Medical adhesives on wall plaster may cause a rash. Plaster can be an allergen. Many people are allergic to some type of adhesive used to repair or cover a wound. The adhesive may be colophony, resin or a bacterium. These substances can cause contact dermatitis, eczema, or even anaphylactic shock. If you suffer from an allergy to any of these substances, it’s important to talk to a doctor about whether or not you are allergic to plaster.